Suzuki Early Childhood Education Classes
Once a week, children ages birth through three years meet, along with their parent or caretaker, for a 45 minute music class. Through this program children develop strong music and character traits. Far more than a music class, children are learning very important life skills.
Classes meet on Wednesdays at 10:00 am in Takoma Park, MD.
Skills Developed in Suzuki Early Childhood Education Classes
- Memorization – mastery of more than 2,000 words for a 3-year-old SECE graduate
- Inner discipline/ self-control
- Language skills – music strongly develops children's linguistic capabilities
- Independence – learns to move away from parent comfortably and meets the teacher without shyness or anxiety
- Pitch development and recognition
- Coordination and motor skills
- Sharing with others
- Social structure
- Counting 1-10
About the Suzuki Philosophy
The Suzuki method for music study was developed in post-World War II Japan by violinist, Shinichi Suzuki. Dr. Suzuki applied the way that children learn their native language to learning music; by listening daily to their parent's speech, from birth, and then through repetition as they practice new words building on what they've already learned. With daily listening to the cirriculum cd and daily practice every child can learn to play and enjoy music. The child is always regarded with utmost respect. I believe that...
- Every Child Can Learn
- Ability Develops Early
- Environment Nurtures Growth
- Children Learn from One Another
- Success Breeds Success
- Parental Involvement is Critical
- Encouragement is Essential
Select one piece of classical music approximately 5 minutes long from the Baroque or Classical periods. Play it daily for your unborn child.
The ear is the first fully developed organ. An unborn baby can distinguish voices and other sounds.
Dr. Suzuki observed that when the same music was played for the infant after birth, the child showed recognition and enjoyment of the piece and that the piece had a calming effect on the child.
This class is sponsored by the Sligo SDA Church. It is possible to join the class anytime if space is available.