"Teaching music is not my main purpose. I want to make good citizens. If children hear fine music from the day of their birth and learn to play it, they develop sensitivity, discipline and endurance. They get a beautiful heart."
Keri Tomenko’s Violin Studio was founded to instill artistry, musicianship, discipline and a love for music in her students. Her comprehensive Suzuki program is designed for discerning parents and students seeking exceptional musical instruction.
The development of a fine musician and human being requires a great deal of commitment. Keri views violin study as essential to developing a well-rounded person, as essential as any other life skill or school subject. This program is very intense and requires a deep dedication from both the student and their family. The lessons learned not only in violin and musicianship but in hard work and perseverance will benefit and enrich the student throughout their life.
This studio seeks families that are motivated and committed to this program in its entirety. This includes daily home practice, daily Suzuki and classical listening, group classes, concert attendance and performances. Through this program students develop skills as a violinist and musician while enriching their inner selves. Essentially, music study is learning another language, but a universal one. It opens doors in the mind and heart and truly changes the way you view the world and consequently your interactions with it. Through practice, dedication, love and discipline the student learns that they can accomplish things they never believed possible for themselves.
Keri’s studio seeks to develop passion, artistry, skill, dedication, and a love for music and the violin that will benefit the child wherever they choose to go in life.
"Knowledge is not skill. Knowledge plus ten thousand times is skill."
Suzuki Violin Program
- Ideal starting age: 3-6 years old
- Parent participate in all classes, through active listening and note-taking
- A combination of 37 private lessons and 12 group lessons per year
- Daily practice - student and parent together
- Daily listening to the curriculum cd
- Tuition divided evenly over 12 months
- Tuition covers 37 private lessons, 12 group lessons, and 2 recitals each year.
- No refunds or make-up lessons for skipped or canceled classes.
- If you must miss a lesson, a schedule and email list will be provided for the purpose of swapping lessons.
- The tuition is for the reserved time, not the actual lesson itself.
- If the teacher must cancel, the lesson will be rescheduled.
- Classes are scheduled in 30, 45, and 60 minute blocks, but with unpacking/packing lag, only 25, 40, and 55 minutes of lesson is guaranteed.
- Before enrolling in classes, families have a required observation period of 4 private lessons to determine if this is the right program for them.
- Parents are required to read "Nutured by Love" by Shinichi Suzuki before lessons begin and are strongly recommended to read other books on the suggested reading list.
- This is a violin priority program. If you choose to join this program, you are choosing to make violin the priority over any other activity.
- By your participation in the program you agree to Keri Tomenko Music Studio policies.
Suggested Reading and Viewing
- Nutured by Love, Shinichi Suzuki
- Nutured by Love DVD (available on the suzukiassociation.org website)
- Helping Parents Practice, Edmund Sprunger
- Teaching from the Balance Point, Ed Kreitman
- The Talent Code, Daniel Coyle